Movies to watch with your kids
The Greatest Leadership Movies
We love leadership movies. So recently we started a fun new tradition at our Growing Leaders office. Once a month we end the workday early and move into our creative space at our office, we pull some snacks out and watch one of these great leadership movies together.
Our team brainstormed some of the best leadership movies over the last few decades and we are going through this list once a month. We may not get through all of them but it provided us a great chance to see leadership failures and successes and discuss it afterward.
Let me list some of these leadership movies for you. I encourage you to watch them with a group and talk them over afterwards. I have listed the title and rating of each of the leadership movies below. Obviously, if you view these leadership movies with students, you’ll want to keep the content and language of the movie in mind.
- The Last Castle (R) 19. Miracle (PG-13)
- Crimson Tide (R) 20. Bridge Over the River Kwai (PG)
- Courage Under Fire (R) 21. Saving Private Ryan (R)
- A Few Good Men (R) 22. Twelve Angry Men (PG)
- The King’s Speech (R) 23. Hoosiers (PG)
- The Queen (PG-13) 24. Invictus (PG-13)
- Glory (R) 25. Apollo 13 (PG)
- Freedom Writers (PG-13) 26. Amazing Grace (PG-13)
- The Great Debaters (PG-13) 27. Chariots of Fire (PG)
- The Iron Lady (PG-13) 28. Taps (PG)
- Pay It Forward (PG-13) 29. Schindler’s List (R)
- The Hunt for Red October (PG) 30. The Glory Road (PG)
- Braveheart (R) 31. Black Hawk Down (R)
- Dave (PG-13) 32. Band of Brothers (Series)
- Remember the Titans (PG-13) 33. Men of Honor (R)
- Dead Poets Society (PG) 34. The Last Samurai (R)
- Finding Forrester (PG-13) 35. The Patriot (R)
- We Were Soldiers (R) 36. The Devil Wears Prada (PG-13)
You can begin the discussion of these leadership movies with questions like:
- Where did we see evidence of poor leadership in this story?
- Where did we see evidence of good leadership in this story?